Tawasentha Pool will be offering an American Red Cross Lifeguarding course the summer:
Dates: Must Attend ALL Class Sessions
- Sunday, June 2nd - 11am - 5pm
- Tuesday, June 4th - 4 - 7pm
- Wednesday, June 5th - 4 - 7pm
- Sunday, June 9th - 11am - 5pm
- Monday, June 10th - 4 - 7pm
- Tuesday, June 11th - 4 - 7pm
(Rain Make Up Dates: Thursday, June 6th & Wednesday, June 12th - 4 - 7pm)
Town Resident Cost: $200
Non-Resident Cost: $250
Location: Tawasentha Park Pool (188 Route 146, Altamont, NY 12009)
Transportation: NOT AVAILABLE
To enroll in the American Red Cross Lifeguarding course, you must be at least 15 years old before the last scheduled class session.
To participate in the course, you must be able to pass a prerequisite skills evaluation by doing the following:
- Swim 300 yards (12 laps) continuously demonstrating breath control and rhythmic breathing. You may swim using the front crawl, breaststroke or a combination of both but swimming on the back or side is not allowed. (Swim goggles can be used.)
- Tread water for 2 minutes using only the legs.
- Complete a timed event within 1 minute and 40 seconds:
- Starting in the water, swim 20 yards. (No goggles)
- Surface dive to a depth of 7 – 10 feet to retrieve a 10 pound brick.
- Return to the surface and swim 20 yards on your back to return to the starting spot with both hands on the diving brick, while keeping your face out of the water or near the surface to breathe.
- Exit water using stairs or steps.
The prerequisite skills evaluation will occur on the first day of the course. Please bring a swimsuit and towel for every class.
To successfully complete the course you must be at every session and participate in all skills, activities and scenarios, and demonstrate competency in all required skills and scenarios. You must also pass the two final written exams with a minimum grade of 80 percent.
The practice sessions will require some strenuous activity. You are encouraged to check with your healthcare professional before participating in the course. If you have a medical condition or disability that might prevent you from participating in the activities, or have questions about being able to fully participate in the Lifeguarding course, please contact the instructor to discuss this before the course begins.
Upon successful completion of the course, you will receive an American Red Cross certificate for Lifeguarding/First Aid/CPR/AED, valid for 2 years.
If you have questions please contact Taylor Mead at firstname.lastname@example.org or 518-456-3150.